Monday, January 30, 2017

Why I founded A Hero's Tribute.Org

A Hero's Tribute.Org is a memorial website for Fallen Military, Firefighter’s and Law Enforcement Officers that I started back in 2004 when I lived in Florida. It was during the summer when we were having so many casualties Iraq and Afghanistan. I’m a proud army mom and it broke my heart that so many families had lost their Hero. My son has been on three tours to Iraq and I learned the meaning of “pray without ceasing”. I don’t know how other families feel but when my son came back home and I was so relieved and grateful to God he sent him back to me, and yet, I also felt a little guilty because of all those that didn’t come home to their families.

I had just graduated in 2004 with an AS degree in Web Graphics & Web Design as I was creating an educational nonprofit. When I saw day in and day out the loss of our military I asked God wasn’t there something that I could do to let these families know that they will never be forgotten. It was that summer that I created A Hero’s Tribute.Org. I didn’t know how I was going to accomplish this so over the next few months I did research and then started gathering photos and graphics to use in the memorials. In 2005 both Danny Halhbolm the artist who created “Footprints in the Sand” allowed me to use his artwork in the memorial and Celtic Woman gave me permission to use their music.

I was born into a law enforcement family. My father was in the Florida Highway Patrol when I was born. He did that for 11 years and then he ran for Sheriff in Seminole County, Florida where he was elected in 1968 and retired in 1990 with a terminal illness. He passed away in June of 1991 and he had a very large funeral. It was during the funeral that I realized just how loved and respected he was. He was only 59 when he died.

Much like the funerals of Fallen Police Officers; sheriff’s, deputies and police officers came to his funeral to pay their respects from all over the State. During his funeral procession we took him past the Sheriff’s Office and the Jail he helped raise money for, that is now named “The John E. Polk Correctional Facility” in honor of his dedication to all those he served. As we took him to his final resting place there were lines of people lined up along the side of the roads and flags were lowered to have staff. When we drove by the veterans clubs where they stood and saluted him as well as his deputies and employees. Words cannot express how much that meant to my family, and, how much strength it gave us to get through our loss. I am sure that is how it is for every Fallen Hero’s family.

I moved from Florida to North Carolina in 2006 to be near to my son who was stationed at Ft Bragg. Over the years I have been so humbled and honored that something I had created was meant so much to each family that I did a memorial for. I’ve made some lifelong friends and I give God all the credit for helping me do this. It is so important that we never forget our Fallen Military, Firefighter’s and Police Officer’s. Their families need to know that they are remembered and if A Hero's Tribute can have a small part in that, then that's a good thing.

So.... This is the official re-launch of my blog. I will be sharing memorials that I have done giving you an opportunity to get to know a Fallen Hero and their family. I encourage you to take a few moments to leave a condolence.

No comments: